Thursday, January 8, 2009

The events that took place today make me warm inside!


Figure 1



Figure 2


Figures 3, 4, 5 and 6

I'm not sure where I inherited this trait from (my family is too stubborn to pass anything down), but I am very much a planner. I need three plans, and they have to be just right. I understand that there are many details about weddings that are not going to go just so. BUT, I feel all warm and squishy inside because I learned so many tricks and tips to create a beautiful atmosphere and not blow my budget!

I met a lady today by the name of Jackie. She put my mind to ease and made it look EASY! I guess that's why she's been in this business for twenty years. She works at The Flower Box in Schulenburg, a neighboring town, and is a friend of a friend of the family. Did you get all of that? She's a very nice woman who is not afraid to share her knowledge on how to cut expenses! Now, if she could magically make the rest of the wedding so much more cost effective, I think I would sing her praises from a high rise.

We started looking at pictures in the "great big book of everything floral." That's my name for it, at least, because I'm not sure what the actual title was. Anyways, I needed to let her know that my bouquet, the bridesmaids bouquets, the bouts and the corsages were all being made by the florist in Weimar. She simply asked me what my flowers were, so I told her: white stock flower, bells of Ireland and some roses. She and a lady named Shelly sat with me for more than an hour talking about all of the different things I could do. I saw ribbons, wreaths, books and many drawings of ideas for different options. She took care of me, and I appreciated it!

Now, don't make fun of my drawings, but I had to show you what we have thought about. If Mike and I are able to locate them, we will be using EZ Up canopies. This will save over $600 for tent rental. I think I should get to eat a brownie for that one. If we are able to locate three or four of these canopies, we will stagger them through the yard on the south side of the house. This allows for everyone to be able to see one another and not feel crowded. When I get exact numbers and measurements of the yard, I will be sure to let you all know.

In figure two, you will see the main entrance to the main tent. When talking with Jackie, she started that this is where people will tend to take pictures at, this is where people will more than likely gather, etc. I know that I only illustrated one of the tents, but on the back side of the main tent, along with the others that will be set up, there will be a greenery spray to accent the top corners of the pole. Each pole on all the canopies will be camouflaged by white material. I can only assume it will be about the same material that I had on the tables for Thanksgiving lunch.

Back to the main tent: There will be two rod iron poles on each side of the entrance. On each pole are two arrangement holders. These poles can also be attached with a bar in the middle to allow for a spray arrangement on the top.

At the very top of the pole, there will be an arrangement made up similar to the following image: http://www.petalsdesignstudio.com/Burkert%20Photo%201a.jpg Don't worry, there will not be any peacock feathers!!!! I promise! Also, the white flowers will not be in there either. It will be a simple arrangement of greenery.

Around the middle of the stand will be an arrangement similar to the one shown on this page: http://www.flowerbarn1.com/Wedding/CWF2411Large.jpg There will not be any palm leaves or calla lilies.

If the two poles are connected in the middle, there will be a spray in the middle that consists of the bells of Ireland, white stock flowers and some fern and/or ivy.

There will also be a beautiful curly willow heart with silk white stock flowers and greenery hanging in the front door window. I did this so that I could keep it forever! Let's be honest: It's expensive to preserve you bouquet. It sounds sweet and all, but this will be around for a lot longer.

I was also given a lot of hints as to how to use the furniture we have so that we don't have to move as many things. Also, the linens that I was able to pick up for free will be able to be used. All I need to do is tape hem the things and bleach the TAR out of them. I'm good with bleach!

One of the tips that I received was that I should use plastic on the tables that will be outside and the chairs. Yes, I said plastic. For those of you that are visual: http://www.thenerds.net/index.php?page=imageviewer&id=55068 It comes on a roll and looks wonderful. All I need to do is tie a ribbon around the chair and it will be done! As you see in figure 4, the plastic will extend over the ends of the table so that I can cut the plastic through the middle. Here's the great part: This can all be cut ahead of time and stored in the closet on a hanger!!!

Figures 5 and 6 go together to illustrate where the cake table will be set up. In the corner of our living room, if Michael is okay with this, between the two windows, we will hang a curtain rod on each wall and put the sheer curtains up so that it creates a nice backdrop for the cake table. I think it sounds like an awesome idea.

I should have warned you that this would be a long post! There was a lot of progress made today!

Until next time, see y'all on the flip side.

No comments:

Mike and Riley